Tuesday, August 04, 2009

I carry your heart with me

One of the many strange things about genetics is this aspect of love. I keep thinking about what e. e. cummings said about . . .
(carrying) your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)


Almost literally I carry these people's hearts with me in my heart.

We are about to leave, having been here for seventeen days. My cousin, Joey, would have been 26 today. If he hadn't died 23 years ago. I carry his heart with me. Too. I carry it in my heart.




1 comment:

Kim said...

my favorite collection of words, maybe, ever.

this is life. we take our little suitcase hearts and pack them full of beautiful shiny people and just carry them with us. like mary poppins' bag. an infinite amount of space for just loving people.

hey, i love you, come back soon and let's go sing at karaoke.